Thursday 28 July 2011

Day 109, Beer 109 - Purity's "Pure Gold"

Today's Beer




Name – Pure Gold

Brewer – Purity

Classification – Golden ale

Strength – 4.3% ABV



Verdict - At A Glance

On the eye – 'MOR' gold. (Confused? Then read on...)

On the nose – Perfectly pleasant in a 'MOR' kind of way. (Still confused? Then, just keep reading...)

On the tongue – Well balanced, fruity and dry, with a decent malt presence. All very nice, easy drinking and generally 'MOR.' (Dum de dum...)

On the subject – This is the last of the Purity ales I've sampled here, and a pretty impressive (if rather small) range it has proved to be too. Popularity is growing at quite a pace, and I can see why.

On the market – I've seen these in Tesco and I reckon they'll be found in all kinds of 'MOR' places like that. (If you are now officially sick and tired with all this bewildering 'MOR' business, I guarantee to provide an explanation very soon indeed...) Try an online order here.

On the
whole7.5/10



Full Review

Well, there's not a lot wrong with this one.

Not at all.

Nothing 'wrong' that I could detect.

It was all just fine and dandy.

Nice.

Lovely.

But, as you can probably tell – I wasn't exactly reaching for the thesaurus to find entirely new words to describe entirely new thoughts and feelings beyond the reach of my tiny, mortal mind.

I was merely drinking a very pleasant ale which was very easy-drinking, very well brewed and largely unremarkable.

I was drinking beer that could well be described as 'MOR'.

'Middle Of The Road'.

Not too this, and not too that.

Perfectly decent.

Nice.

Inoffensive.

Beer to tap your toes to.

Beer to enjoy whilst you're busy doing something else.

In the world of popular music the phrase 'MOR' has really taken off. It provides a home for acts such as ABBA, The Carpenters, and The Bachelors, as well as solo artists like Michael Bublé, Mat Munro and Dido.

Nobody will ever try start a fight whilst songs by these artistes are playing, and there are plenty who might try to start a family. But these tunes are unlikely to make the world shift on its axis either.

But do not, I urge you, misunderstand my point here.

Songs by such indisputable greats as Elvis Presley and The Beatles might feature in many people's MOR collections, and the reason for that is simple. These acts have a hugely broad appeal, and beer is the same as music in so far as 'broad appeal' means 'more sales.' Tesco don't stock this beer by accident. They know that the greater number of people are going to agree that this beer is perfectly fine, whilst very few will find reason to hate it.

Talk about 'ker-ching'!

It's got just the amount of dryness for the dryness-lovers, just the right fruit for the citrus-lovers, and there's even a nice 'medium' body to save all from harm. Even the colour of this brew is every bit as 'MOR' as everything else.

I like this beer. I really do. And I'd buy it again in preference to a great many other beers. It's just that I'd probably never go out of my way to seek it out.

But then, the ever-clever Tesco have made it so that I'll never need to go out of my way.

And perhaps therein lies the secret to all things 'MOR'.

Not only are they well-intentioned, easy-going, and very hard not to like - but they're always close by whenever you need them.



No comments: